Solid-state disk (SSD) drives are one of the main things in a computer that a real hardcore user needs. The drives use non-volatile NAND flash memory, which means there are no moving parts in the device. Because there is no actuator arm and read/write head that must seek out data on a platter like on a hard disk drive (HDD), they are faster in reading and, in most cases, writing data.
The downside to purchasing one of these state of the art components is unfortunately the price. At the moment because it is a relatively new piece of tech, the price is high but in a few years to come they will get better and cheaper. If you do the maths, the cost per-gigabyte for HDDs and SSDs are dropping at the same pace -- about 50% per year -- so the large price gap between the two will remain for years to come.
About “SSDNow v+100”
“SSDNow V+100 are ideal for demanding corporate environments and for system builders and integrators. It uses a standard SATA interface but unlike a regular hard drive, it’s built with no moving parts. It provides durability and reliability to meet the needs of professionals in the office or on the road. Business travellers in any industry will appreciate its performance gains, as will medical professionals, software developers, video editors, designers, IT workers and law enforcement officials.
SSDNow V+100 feature an independent garbage collection function that maintains a system at optimum performance level. This is especially important for systems running on Windows XP, which doesn’t feature TRIM, and it will also help organizations extend the software cycle on their systems, delaying upgrades of operating systems and compatible applications.”
- Innovative — uses MLC NAND flash memory components.
- Silent — runs silent and cool with no moving mechanical parts
- Shock-Proof — no moving mechanical parts so the SSD handles rougher conditions
- Supports S.M.A.R.T functions
- Guaranteed — three-year warranty, live 24/7 tech support
- Form factor — 2.5"
- Interface — SATA 1.5Gb/s and 3.0Gb/s
- Capacities1 — 64 GB, 96 GB, 128 GB, 256 GB, 512 GB
- Dimensions — 69.85 x 100 x 9.5 mm
- Weight — 128 - 151 grams
- Storage temperatures — -40 ~ 85°C
- Operating temperatures — 0 ~ 70°C
- Vibration operating — 2.7G
- Vibration non-operating — 20G
- Sequential Read Throughput 2 — 230 MB/s
- Sequential Write Throughput 2 — 180 MB/s
- PCMARK® Vantage HDD Suite Score 3 —
64 GB – 35,046
96 GB – 34,971
128 GB – 35,073
256 GB – 34,795
512 GB – 34,697
- Power specs — Active - 3.4W (TYP)
Idle - 0.05W
- MTBF — 1,000,000 Hrs